who is myer clarity?
Forget everything you think you know about hip hop. Twenty four year old singer/songwriter and producer Myer Clarity comes straight out of left field with his charmingly unorthodox blend of hip hop, pop, and punk. Sporting a grungy bleached blonde aesthetic and a live energy typically reserved for Olympic medalists, this young, brash performer along with his 4 piece band of punky musicians, has established himself as a college crowd favourite and has gone on to open for notable acts such as Yelawolf, Royce 5’9, D12, and Hoodie Allen, to name a few. With his newest studio album “BYOB” ranking at #9 on the US College Hip Hop Charts, three back to back Ontario tours followed by showcases in both Europe and California, and a closing slot at Canadian Music Week (2015) and Indie Week (2015), CULT MTL’s “Top 10” rap artist four years running (2010-2014) show’s no sign of fatigueas he gears up for a 45 date USA tour following the recording of his sophomore album “Not All Heroes Wear Capes”.
Born Myer Hyman-Lord to a Quebecois mother and Jewish Father, the young Montrealer turned Torontonian has never been a stranger to contrast. Growing up a hip hop fan in Montreal’s boisterous punk scene, Myer Clarity has always straddled the line between worlds combining elements of punk, rap, jazz and stand up comedy into his live performances. He's been known to don baggy pants, wallet chains and leather jackets, all while belting out his signature witty, self aware melodic raps between bouts of Steve Martin-esque stand up comedy and distorted guitar.
His first studio album "Nostalgic Tomorrows", released in 2011, featured appearances from Moka Only and Mac Lethal, and received extensive coverage from local print outlets including the Montreal Mirror (CULTMTL) which gave it an 8.5/10. The album opened Clarity up to numerous festival bookings such as Osheaga (2011), POPMTL (2011-2012), Under Pressure! (2011), CMW (2015), Indie Week (2015), and MIDEM (2016) allowing him to share the stage with notable acts such as jazz legend Oliver Jones, dj extraordinaire Kid Koala, and pioneers of the QC hip hop scene Dubmatique.
In 2012, Myer Clarity followed up his first album with his summer smash single "Meet Me @ The Park", which boasted 30K+ views in its first year and positioned the young crossover artist as a pop friendly yet credible hip hop act, both polished and self aware in his brand, marketing and audience. Despite interest from various indie labels and industry veterans alike, Myer stuck to his independent roots and chose to continue to grow his fan base organically from the ground up.
With a 17 track self produced album in it’s final mixing stages featuring appearances from Down With Webster’s Camm Hunter, as well as two nominations for the country’s ‘Best Rap Single’ and ‘Best Rap Album’ from Canadian Urban Television, one should expect to hear a lot more from this ambitious young storyteller. Woody Allen once said "80 percent of success is showing up"; when it comes to Myer Clarity, it's clear as day he not only showed up, but made himself at home and put his feet up on the couch.
- BYOB album ranking in the top 10 on the CMJ college hip hop charts (peaked at #9)
- 30k+ views on "Meet Me @ The Park" music video: http://youtu.be/qjOKWZ79nHc
- CULTMTL's top 10 Montreal Hip Hop artist 4 years in a row (2010 - 2014) (peaked at #2)
- Performed at Osheaga Montreal Music Festival in Montreal, QC (2011)
- Toured with Illvibe, D.O Gibson, Bodega Brovas & Philly Moves (2014, 2015)
- Closing slot at Canadian Music Week in Toronto, ON (2015)
- Closing slot at Indie Week in Toronto, ON (2015)
- Showcase at MIDEM in Cannes, France(2016)
- Performance at the world famous Comedy Store in Los Angeles, CA (2015)
- Recorded with Camm Hunter (Down With Webster), Kayo, Mac Lethal, Moka Only, Motel Raphael, DO of Art of Fresh, and Mad Conductor
- Produced for Skyzoo, Maia Leia, Illvibe, Cee, Meghan Norah
- Opened for Yelawolf, Royce 5’9, D12, Oliver Jones, T. Mills, Hoodie Allen, Sage Francis, Masta Ace, Cage, Kid Koala, D-Sisive, Snak the Ripper
- Factor Funded Artist